Well, we are almost one week into the new year. How are your resolutions going? Feeling good…or rather accomplished? Or already thinking of throwing in the towel….calling it a good try, at least? Yes, I’m somewhat joking – mainly to avoid the debate as to whether resolutions are good guides or goals or just a way to set us up for defeat. Everyone seems to have an opinion. Often, a strong opinion. Taking resolutions out of the conversation, I do think goals are a good idea. Our pastor used one of his favorite quotes (at least, a favorite this time of year) on Sunday: Failing to plan is a plan to fail. And, there is quite a bit of truth in that. Actually, I think I just really enjoy planning. Setting goals is very much planning….so, I’m all in!
That said, getting some goals for this month down in writing will keep me on track. Or, hopefully, in check. At least, in theory. If these sound too much like resolutions and you aren’t interested, that’s okay. This post might be just for my reference. Of course, there is the chance you might “get inspired” and set a similar goal for yourself. If so, let me know. You can help keep me accountable.
So….some goals for January (and potentially each month thereafter creating a goal for the year but, baby steps)
- begin each day and end each in the Word. I have a Bible reading plan that includes an OT passage and a NT one. I plan to split those up and read one part in the morning and one part before bed. The plan will take me through the Bible in a year but that is not really the goal. I just like the designated passages that easily divide into two session.
- no more “screens” before bed. The first goal will help with this one but reading before bed is also okay. I really need to break the YouTube just before lights out habit.
- read one book. Can you tell these goals are building on each other? I am not a reader but, hopefully, reading more (at night) will help with goal number two and squashing the YT habit. That habit really is annoying.
- do my exercise video/workout 3 times a week. It may not sound like much to many but, trust me, its a big one for me. Sigh.
- blog 3 times a week and stick to my schedule
- take at least three photos a week – which may or may not (probably not) be used in a blog post but, at least, be looking for photos
- get outside every day. Confession: I am already struggling with this one. But, if I write it here then it’s serious:)
I could probably continue but I think this is enough to get me started. If I follow through with each of these, I will be thrilled. And, I think I will have set the stage for a “better” year ahead. I will have say that I have “a goal” to work through some of the “technical” issues of blogging -and, lately, I have had several. The other day, everything on my sidebar completely disappeared. Gone. But why? And, yesterday, for some reason, comments from readers stopped appearing here on my blog. I would receive an email notification of a new comment but it never showed up, which meant I could not comment, which made it look as if I was ignoring my friends. Sigh. I am working on it. Thanks for your patience!! Have a great weekend!