Oh, but I hope it has been as lovely of a week, thus far, for you as we have had here in Virginia. The autumn weather has been especially beautiful lately. The mornings are brisk (you might even say chilly) but the temperatures warm up so nicely throughout the day – and the endless sunshine just can’t be beaten! We had a perfect day for apple picking on Monday. We came home with a “medium” bag full of apples. Several folks had the “large” bag and a few had multiple large bags. Our medium bag has given us more than enough apples….we have apples to share and then some.
I think I am going to brave an apple pie this weekend. I am not much of a pie baker (or pie lover) but something about homemade apple pie sounds quite delicious! I also remember an upside-down apple pie that we made as “a family project” one evening several years ago. It was a huge hit – everyone (even the non-pie people) loved it. I should search for that recipe. I also have a recipe from my aunt for homemade apple cake. I have only made it a couple of times (and it has been years since the last time) and I remember it is rather labor-intensive…but it is wonderful. Dare I try that as well? And, of course, I want to make some applesauce. We usually make ours in the crock pot and it is super easy. After you core and slice all the apples! Goodness, maybe we really did need the “large” bag. Or two.
I had planned to post a “Fall Bucket List” earlier in the month. I did blog a bit about fall here…but never formed an actual bucket list. When I was thinking about that today, I realized how many “boxes” I have already checked – and the month is just getting started! It has been an eventful autumn so far. Just for accountability – and a bit of fun – I thought I would make note of my (short but sweet) fall bucket list here. Things I would like to do (a couple I need to do) and even some of the things I have already accomplished! Let me know if there is something I need to add…..and what plans you have for the rest of these pretty autumn weeks. I would love to know!
- Go to a pumpkin patch – done!
- Make a homemade pumpkin spice latte – done! (it was not good)
- Decorate for fall (bring on the scarecrows!) – done!
- Make an apple pie – I’m working on it
- Go on a fall hike
- Make pumpkin soup – the recipe is on my fridge:)
- Go apple picking – done!
- Shop for fall candles – done!
- Drink apple cider – done! (it was the best I’ve ever had!)
- Make caramel apples – hmm….should I add that to my list?
- Add mums to the porch – done!
- Rake leaves – no yet, thankfully
- Drive along Skyline Drive in the Shenandoah Valley
- Do some fall thrifting – done!
- Bake autumn-inspired cookies
- Bake pumpkin bread (recipe also on the fridge)
- Make a fall wreath
- Start planning Thanksgiving
- Share fall-themed gifts with friends and/or neighbors